Saturday, April 23, 2011

Link Post: Volcano watch

I had not heard the term Decade Volcano.  I know I have mentioned them off and on, but volcanoes have caused huge problems on a world wide scale in the past.  I have a post I have been working on that slammed the Byzantine empire.
The Decade Volcanoes refer to the 16 volcanoes identified by the International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI) as being worthy of particular study in light of their history of large, destructive eruptionsand proximity to populated areas. The Decade Volcanoes project encourages studies and public-awareness activities at these volcanoes, with the aim of achieving a better understanding of the volcanoes and the dangers they present, and thus being able to reduce the severity of natural disasters.Theyare named Decade Volcanoes because the project was initiated as part of the United Nations-sponsored International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction.
I mention it because:

Alert status at the Philippines' Taal raised
Taal
The article has some interesting information.  It does not comment on how distruptive the big blasts are to climate.  But the link to the immediate hazard map is interesting (although I cannot read the scale) and it has an image update link.  hat tip NK.

No comments: